Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Medical Lab staff = Doctor?

  Hey guys it's me again, now days when I started my internship I got a lot feedback from the patients at the hospital that when we took their blood as phlebotomists people often mistaken us as a doctor which we're not. I know I shouldn't rant about this it's not a big deal anyway but for me I think people as a community should know the difference between a doctor (physician) and Medical lab staff , as you can see most of the people who is not in the medical field will often mistaken us as a doctor due to the similarities between us and doctors when we're working on our field.

  First of all let me explain to your people what is a medical lab staff job scope and the purpose of us in the healthcare institution by letting you guys watch this video,


 "Medical laboratory technologists is a person who will provide support and assistance in the area of health sciences. The role of a medical laboratory technologist is to assist doctors in the diagnostic process of identifying illnesses. This is a crucial stage as the diagnosis will be used by doctors to prescribe the accurate and effective medication to patients. Medical laboratory technologists personnel examine and analyze body fluids, and cells. They look for bacteria, parasites, and other microorganisms; analyze the chemical content of fluids and determine concentrations of compounds such as blood glucose and cholesterol levels; match blood for transfusions; and test for drug levels in the blood that show how a patient is responding to treatment. Technologists also prepare specimens for examination, count cells, and look for abnormal cells in blood and body fluids. After testing and examining a specimen, they analyze the results and relay them to physicians."

   After watching these video you guys will come to realize that there's a big differences between us and the doctors (physician), we may work in the same field of healthcare but our purposes is way different from one another. I hope my explanation here will help some of you people out there that is still confuse about this matter. That's all I have for today thank you and have a great day people.


No comments: